01 November 2013

Recipe Time~! Corn-Free, Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Wheat-Free, Chocolate-Free Pumpkin Bread! :D

    Yup. Corn, sugar, dairy, soy, wheat, and chocolate-free Pumpkin Bread. But not Pumpkin-free. Sorry for any pumpkin allergics out there. Truly, I am. Pumpkin is my comfort food and I can't imagine living without it. :( And if yeast is a problem for anyone, this is also yeast-free. I don't know if pumpkin bread ever calls for yeast, but just in case. :)

    So, I'm on a yeast-lifting protocol right now to solve some intestinal and digestive problems I have been having. Some of the things that I've gotten back allergy-wise (such as chocolate) are now off-limits again. Right before Halloween. XD I've had this HUGE meal I have been planning for a month (that had to get moved to tomorrow), and as I have been making it, I've been like, "...I'll just drink my Fo-Ti while you guys eat." I hadn't even realized. It is okay; just some adjusting, and going back to how I was eating before. :)

    The one thing I was absolutely looking forward to was the Pumpkin Bread. I had a feeling I could adjust the recipe my Grandma gave me a few years ago to be safe. So I eliminated the chocolate from it too. I think it is a Lionhouse recipe, but I'm not entirely sure.

    *Make sure to use organic, safe-for-you ingredients.

Altered Pumpkin Bread
*2/3 C Agave Nectar
1/3 C Shortening
*2 Eggs, well beaten
*1 can of Pumpkin
*1 3/4 C Flour
>>>I used brown rice flour and tapioca starch. For 1 cup of flour, you do 1/2 a cup of brown rice, and 1/2 a cup of tapioca. But use what is safe for you.

*1/2 tsp Baking Soda
*1 tsp Baking Powder
*1 tsp Cinnamon
*1/4 tsp Cloves, ground
>>>I actually accidentally did a full teaspoon of cloves. Turned out great! And I ground up the whole cloves myself. So don't fret if you only have whole cloves. :)

*1/2 tsp Nutmeg
>>>As a note, if you don't have nutmeg, you can use mace, allspice, cloves, or cinnamon to replace. I found that out for a later recipe after I'd run out. XD

*1/2 tsp Salt
>>>I used canning salt, but you can use sea salt too. :) Or regular salt if corn isn't an issue for you.

*1/3 C Buttermilk
>>>I took 1/3 cup of coconut milk (this is especially good for making buttermilk!) and stirred in 1/2 a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, and let it set for several minutes. The minimum is 5 minutes, but I think mine sat for about 15. :) But make sure to use a non-dairy milk that is safe for you; not everyone can have coconut, I know.

(*Optional: 1 package of Chocolate Chips - I didn't use any.)

 Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix agave nectar and shortening together until creamy. Add eggs and pumpkin and stir really well. Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and add to the mixture. Add buttermilk to the mixture and mix really well. (Optional: Add chocolate chips and mix in.) Pour into a greased and lightly floured (again, I used brown rice flour) loaf pan. Sprinkle unsweetened cinnamon over the top, and use spatula to lightly mix into the surface. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until bread tests done. I ended up having to do an hour and a half, but I think that really depends on your oven and where you live. I live at a higher altitude and use an older oven, for example. :) Let it cool on a cooling rack, and at your leisure you can flip it out of the pan. You need to let it cool for at least 10 minutes, but a few hours doesn't affect whether or not it slides out of the pan (...not that I fell asleep or anything). Makes 1 large loaf.

     As a note, the loaf is pretty dense. And, I have to say, it is very delicious. <3 I'm excited to serve it tomorrow night...tonight? Friday. It is technically Friday right now, so tonight. I wasn't able to stay awake for Halloween festivities tonight, so we moved the dinner to tonight. :) And for my out-of-country viewers, I will post the recipe in metrics. ^_^ Aaand I hope it is the right measurements. I'm never completely sure when doing conversions. I really wish America used the metric system like the rest of the world.... Anyway. Here goes:

Altered Pumpkin Bread - Metric
*157 ml Agave Nectar
*78 ml Shortening
*2 Eggs, well beaten
*1 can of Pumpkin
*414 ml Flour
>>>I used brown rice flour and tapioca starch. For 236 milliliters of flour, you do 118 milliliters of brown rice, and 118 milliliters of tapioca. But use what is safe for you.

*2 ml Baking Soda
*4 ml Baking Powder
*4 ml Cinnamon
*1 ml Cloves, ground
>>>I actually accidentally did a 4 milliliters of cloves. Turned out great! And I ground up the whole cloves myself. So don't fret if you only have whole cloves. :)

*2 ml Nutmeg
>>>As a note, if you don't have nutmeg, you can use mace, allspice, cloves, or cinnamon to replace. I found that out for a later recipe after I'd run out. XD

*2 ml Salt
>>>I used canning salt, but you can use sea salt too. :) Or regular salt if corn isn't an issue for you.

*78 ml Buttermilk
>>>I took 78 milliliters of coconut milk (this is especially good for making buttermilk!) and stirred in 2 milliliters of apple cider vinegar, and let it set for several minutes. The minimum is 5 minutes, but I think mine sat for about 15. :) But make sure to use a non-dairy milk that is safe for you; not everyone can have coconut, I know.

(*Optional: 1 package of Chocolate Chips - I didn't use any.)

Same instructions. :)

    I really hope those are the correct measurements! If anyone happens to know if it is correct or incorrect, please, feel free to leave a comment. ^_^ It would be much appreciated! <3 Also, sorry the pictures aren't super great; I will see about getting a better one later. :)




Have a yummy day, dear reader! <3
Love,
Bryn

2 comments:

  1. Well done on converting the recipe! Looks delicious, and I'm not even a pumpkin eater. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you. :) And I will take that as high praise coming from a non-pumpkin eater!

      Delete