27 July 2013

Sunset And Hummingbirds~

   The last few days have just been so magical for me. :) There was a sunset that seemed to particularly speak to me. I have adored watching sunsets ever since I was a little girl...but sometimes there are just certain ones that stand out. <3 And sunrises...those have become very special to me over the last year or two. ^_^ I will mention those in a later post, however.

    And in addition to this sunset, I have had the absolute delight of sitting in close proximity to a group of hummingbirds and just watching them. :D It has brought me...an almost childlike wonder. It has just been so exceptionally magical for me to watch and interact with them! ^_^ I...I do not really know what it is specifically about hummingbirds. They are just so...so...enchanting, almost! I've very much enjoyed observing their behaviors.

    I've noticed that they are very aggressive...maybe that isn't quite the right word. They are very intense with one another when feeding. If they get closer than a few feet to one another when feeding, and they spot one another, they fly up to one another and start chattering, bite at each others' beaks and then chase one another for a few minutes before both return to feeding - on opposite sides of the bush, of course. :) But I got to see a mated pair feeding together today. They stayed very close to one another, and when a third hummingbird came and started chattering at one of them, the partner immediately chased the third one off and didn't return from the chase for several minutes! They are very protective of their mates, it would seem. <3

    Oh! Can you just imagine how tiny baby hummingbirds must be?? <3 <3 Aww! <3 I would love to see that someday! <3 I bet they are adorable! <3 ^_^

    And then I love it when they fly up to me, several inches away, and watch me. They will fly to a few different angles, tilting their head certain ways, trying to decide what to do with me. Most of them return to feeding, not seeming too bothered. Usually, directly in front of where I am sitting. Sometimes, more to the side. But there was one that flew closer in a very aggressive manner. I couldn't help but lean back a little bit in alarm. It flew closer, and I leaned back some more, which encouraged it to fly closer still! After this third time, it decided it had succeeded in intimidating me into leaving it alone and promptly flew to the very top of the bush to feed. ;) They are very interesting little creatures!

    Sometimes we'll have a hummingbird fly up to the back window and look between whoever is in there before flying off. They seem to have a natural curiosity about them. :D

    Anyway, that is enough rambling~ Pictures:

Sunset. <3

Sunset. <3

Hummingbird diving into a flower. :)

Hummingbird, mid-flight. <3

Hummingbird, perched. <3

    With that, have a spectacular night, dear reader! <3

Remember to look for the little wonders in each day. :)
Love,
Bryn

No comments:

Post a Comment