04 February 2012

Instigator of Nightmares (An Old Short Story!)

    Alright, well...for lack of a better post...I'm posting an old short story of mine. See, I had some other docs that I'd saved potential Blog posts too, except, well, now I sort of can't find them. Which is actually making me pretty angry. So! I came across an old short story and was like, "Sure! Why not?" I wrote it for Mythology class back in High School. It's not exactly my best writing, but oh well. Enjoy ~


    She slowly enters into a realm of savage nightmares, a realm that I have created from her own fears, leaving behind the realm of blissful dreams she was just in. Her imagination has betrayed her and I watch with pleasure as she puts forth a futile effort to escape the creature I have created. Soon the creature catches her in its claws and plays around with her, as if she were a toy of sorts, before preying on her. Her anguished cries fill the night and her parents rush into her room. But they cannot wake her from her nightmare now - no one can. She is too far in to be disturbed from her once-peaceful slumber. I smirk as I enter the nightmare personally. Turning myself into a demon, I step forth from the shadows. I chuckle darkly as I ignite the forest surrounding her bloody body. I permit her to live through the creature's attack only to sit up and see the unnatural flames surround her. She looks around and points at me once she spots me, fear very apparent in her eyes. I raise a clawed hand and the blue flames jump up on her and begin to consume her. Once again her cries tear through the night. She fidgets around, trying to knock the flames off of her. Her parents finally manage to wake her and I fade from her mind back into the dark recesses of the shadows of her room. She hugs her mother tightly and tells them in frightened tones what has just occurred. Before they can spot me, I quickly leave through the open window.

    I merely smile as I move swiftly from shadow to shadow, weaving in and out of light - too fast for most to see. Those who do see me think it is their eyes playing tricks on them. I am on my way to my next victim, and no one can protect him or her from confronting their own fears. After all, if I had to face my fears: Why not the rest of the world? Besides, I was one of those sick, sick people who enjoyed nothing more than to watch others suffer. I relished in others' pain; I thrived on it. I loved nothing more than listening to the anguished cries of the innocent.

"I am one with shadows, one with the night, one with my hatred and one with the fears of the world. I am the instigator of nightmares." I whisper the familiar words as I continue on.


    Yeah, as I said: Old work for school. Typically speaking, I never put in my best effort for school. Just never felt like it. Besides, knowing that I only had to make it interesting enough for a decent grade...well: Why kill myself to write something amazing that's just going to be forgotten about in a few days anyway? As long as I get a passing grade, I'm good to go. But it's still fun to read through some of those old writing assignments. =3

    Oh, right...suppose I should explain. It was for Mythology class, as I specified. The assignment was to make our own creation myth to explain some sort of naturally occurring thing. I chose nightmares.

    Good day! ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment