24 September 2011

According to my Dad.... (Books?)

    Hee hee, this was so funny. Well, at least, I think so. This could turn out to be a thing of "You had to be there" or "You have to know my Dad to think this is funny". I dunno. I thought it was awesome...I couldn't stop laughing. Dad picked up a book about eating and said some stuff about things on the cover. More so, he answered statements with his own answers. In fact, I was laughing so hard that I was crying. Which kinda egged him on. :)

    Now, the thing you need to know about my Dad is that he doesn't read any books really. He's read "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card (Amazing book!), "Hunger Games" (Trilogy) by Suzanne Collins, "Dragon Lance" (first Trilogy) by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (Love!), and "Ranger's Apprentice" (Series) by John Flanagan. It's very rare for him to read a book. But the above mentioned books, he loves...and he absolutely adores "Hunger Games"...although, I haven't read it myself. But hey, now you have a reading list if you haven't read these. You're welcome. :)

    Anyway, I was in bed, being pathetic, yesterday. I had a terrible headache. Which eventually got somewhat better. And he was like, "I know how to cheer you up! I'll read you some poems from this book." (Mom has a book shelf in their room full of all sorts of books.) So he pulled out a poetry book and started reading. Comments made - he's not much of a poetry person:

"How can this be a poem?? It doesn't even rhyme." 
   (me: It's called Free-Verse....)
"Well that was stupid."
   (me: ... ... ...)
"That one was actually pretty good...."
    (me: Good message!)

    And then he pulled out a self-help book and a dieting book. I can't even remember what he said about the self-help book. But the dieting book is called something like "Intuitive Eating". Yeah...here it is. So I'll type the parts he read aloud from the cover and tell you what he said.

-Make peace with Food.
     "I bless it before I eat it."
-Free yourself from Chronic Dieting forever.
     "I'm hungry, and so I eat."
-Get to the Natural Weight that fits you.
     "Round is a shape."

    Yeah, that killed me...I couldn't stop laughing. Now, I'll have it known that, No, neither myself or my dad have read this book. I'm sure that it's a good, helpful book. We aren't slamming the book. We aren't making fun of the content of the book. It's just my dad being a dork. And if my mom got the book, it's probably really pretty good.

    But that apparent reading list we made earlier by listing out the books my dad has willingly read and has read all the way through (and even re-read)? Yeah, I recommend them. Well...half of them. Of course, I've heard from quite a few people the other half are pretty good...I just haven't gotten around to reading them myself yet. :) See, for dad to read a book. The cover has to catch his eye, it has to have a title that sparks interest. And he has to be able to read the first page all the way through. If the first few sentences don't catch his interest, forget it. Granted, it does help if the book has a brief description or snippet of the story on the back. Still needs to read the first page all the way through though. Anyway. So I suppose what we can take from this is that, if you're into Speculative Fiction (Science Fiction/Fantasy), these are probably some pretty good books for you to check out.

    Yay reading list ~ ! Good day! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment